[Osta-board] NSTA -Philadelphia report

bcarlsen bcarlsen at reed.edu
Tue Mar 23 16:26:53 PDT 2010

Dear Lynda, Mike, and Allan, & board members,
     We took some "Oregon Springtime" to Philadelphia last week !  Sue
McWilliams, Heidi Kellar and I brought 70 degree sunny weather to an
East Coast that had been drenched in cold, wintery snow and rain.
They had a near riot in the South Blocks on Saturday night as the
crowds of young people were outside on the streets for the first time
in months!

    Sue and I met with Ken Rosenbaum on Saturday to go over plans for
a Western Regional Conference October 24-26th, 2013 at the Portland
Convention Center.  The financial details and the staffing
requirements will be delt with in future meetings.  NSTA does the
selection of people, OSTA can only make suggestions.
    We have also signed on to a financial agreement regarding the
December 8-11, 2011 Western Regional Conference in Seattle.  For this
one, we will offer discounted memberships, joint memberships, and
receive revenue sharing for attendance from our OSTA members.   We
must also promote the Seattle event, and we can host an Oregon
Reception if we want.

    Heidi helped put on a much improved Teacher Awards Banquet on
Friday evening, and  she boogied the night away in a new blue gown at
a reception later that night.  The three of us were rubbing elbows
with the elite at the President's Banquet Saturday night.  The keynote
speaker, NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, a retired Marine Major
General and former NASA Astronaut, was a breath of fresh air from the
Obama Administration.

    I estimate the attendance at about 10,000.  Every hotel in Philly
was fully booked, and NSTA seeemed pleased with the crowd.  Among the
exhibitors were 39 new vendors from China.  Ginger Redlinger was there
at the NOAA booth and was excited about presenting her new charter
school to us in Colton.  Jon Yoder from Salem was there putting on a
session, and the Vernier people put on 4 workshops each day for 3 days
!  Heidi and Sue will have some stories to tell about their
presentation in one of the Convention Center's "dungeons".

    I made so good contacts with exhibitors.  We now have 10 coming to
Colton, and I expect to hear from many more in the next few weeks.
Not sure about the Chinese, however.  They were invited, but something
may be lost in translation !

    It is good to be back in "green country" and see trees and flowers
in blossom.   Have a great Spring Break.
    See you next month.  Best wishes,  Bernie