[Osta-board] Fwd: Science Framework and Next Generation Science Standards Update

bcarlsen bcarlsen at reed.edu
Tue Oct 25 18:17:52 PDT 2011

Here's the latest from NSTA regarding the Next Generation Science Standards:

NSTA Recommendations to Achieve for NGSS
Last summer NSTA assembled a team of experts to help us fully explore
the draft Framework for K-12 Science Education and hone in on areas we
felt needed improvement. These recommendations were provided to NRC.
We reconvened the team a second time following the release of the
final framework in July. Their task was to take an in-depth look at
the final document to determine any weaknesses and deficiencies in
general, and to consider the previous recommendations made to NRC and
identify areas we thought needed further interpretation and direction.
  The team, comprised of Cindy Workosky, Harold Pratt, Susan Koba,
Mike Padilla, JoAnne Vasquez, and Ted Willard, had numerous
discussions about the Framework. The team collectively agreed on 9
recommendations it felt strongly Achieve should consider and
incorporate when drafting new science standards. The list of
recommendations is attached. It is our hope that Achieve will consider
and embrace these recommendations as it works to develop and draft new
standards. An article by Francis that summarizes the recommendations
will appear in the November issue of NSTA Reports.

NSTA Resources
While the first draft of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
will not appear for many months, it is a valuable time for science
educators to fully examine the Framework and explore in depth the
concepts and ideas on which new standards will be built. NSTA has a
number of activities, resources and materials currently in development
to help science educators explore the Framework in great depth and
address the possible implications of Next Generation Science Standards
on science teaching. Some of these resources include the following:

·         NSTA Journal Series--A special series of articles focusing
on the Framework will appear in upcoming NSTA journals. The first
article by Rodger Bybee will address science and engineering practices
and will appear in December. Other authors include Cary Sneider, Rick
Duschl and Joe Krajcik who will explore other dimensions of the
Framework.

·         Reader’s Guide--An NSTA Reader’s Guide to the Science
Framework written by Harold Pratt is now in development. The Guide
will be published online as an eBook and will appear as an insert in
the January issues of NSTA journals.

·         Web Seminars—Join us today, October 25 (6:30-8 pm Eastern),
for a web seminar exploring science and engineering practices.
Participants include Dr. Brian Reiser, a member of the NRC committee
that authored the Framework, as well as Harold Pratt and myself. To
register, go to
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/products/symposia_seminars/nsta/webseminar4.aspx.

·         Conferences--Sessions on the Framework and NGSS will be
presented at all three area conferences. Representatives from NRC will
give an overview of the Framework, Harold Pratt and I will explore the
three dimensions of the Framework, and Stephen Pruitt will give a
featured presentation addressing the standards development process. Be
sure to check times and locations in the conference programs.

All these resources, and more, can/will be found on the NSTA webpage
www.nsta.org/ngss.