[Osta-board] RE: Request for information

Lori Lancaster Lori_Lancaster at centennial.k12.or.us
Sun Jan 8 09:55:18 PST 2012

Bill & Melissa,

Thank you for this information.  I did read through it and am amazed at what is going on with respect to STEM education in Portland and to the west.  I am equally amazed that this program doesn't seem to be well-publicized.

That's what I think OSTA can do.

It is important that other science educators, and more importantly administrators, around the state be aware that there are programs and districts that are investing in STEM education.

OSTA's means of communication to its members are:
1. The Oregon Science Teacher (TOST).  This print journal is mailed to members 5 times per year.
2. e-TOST.  This is an electronic notification of time-sensitive opportunities (workshops, grant opportunities, etc) available to teachers.
3. Fall Conference on the State-wide Inservice day in October.  This years' conference (2012) is at Leslie Middle School in Salem. The 2013 conference will be the NSTA regional at the Portland Convention Center.  The 2014 conference will be at Centennial High School in Gresham.

Do you think administrators of the STEM Education Partnership could communicate with science educators around the state? Could you present at the conference, or write articles for TOST? Your program represents a powerful model for improvement in STEM education. I think it would be beneficial to your program, to OSTA, and to science educators in this state if we find ways to advocate and spread the word.

The National Research Council's Next Generation Science Standards will roll out in the next year or so. What's more, the Federal ESEA reauthorization has some specific STEM directives. I think there is an opportunity here.

The OSTA winter retreat is January 20-22 at Menucha in Corbett, OR.  Would either or both of you be available to come to speak to the Board during that time?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Lori Lancaster, MST
Chemistry Teacher, Centennial High School
OSTA President-Elect
Gresham, OR
503.762.6180 x5555
503.661.5296
http://sites.google.com/site/chemistryatchs/
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate!