[Osta-board] Response to your OSTA Conference Questions

Connie Robbins crobbins at craneedu.org
Thu Oct 29 15:26:28 PDT 2020

Dear Ms. Dimeo-Edige,

I want to apologize for the delay in this response to your email. With the
conference and a much unprecedented year of school for me and others, it
has taken some time to gather information to review in order to answer your
questions.

To start, when reviewing conference exhibitors for inclusion at the
conference, as a chapter of the National Science Teaching Association
(NSTA),  OSTA and WSTA follow the guidelines of NSTA surrounding exhibitors
and presenters at our science education conferences. According to NSTA,
“NSTA has the sole right to determine eligibility of any company or product
for inclusion in the conference, for accepting an application and assigning
use of space and booths to exhibitor, subject to the availability of space
preferences, special needs, and the compatibility of exhibitors.”  OSTA and
WSTA also reserves the right to determine eligibility for exhibitors and
presenters.

Prior to the conference, the article concerning Oregon Forest Resources
Institute (OFRI) [published by OPB, as part of the timber industry
investigation by OPB, The Oregonian/Oregon Live and ProPublica] was brought
to the attention of the OSTA Board.  The article referred to findings that
the Governor’s spokesperson referred to as possibly warranting an
investigation by the Oregon Government Ethics Commission or the secretary
of state’s office.  This possible investigation was a factor in determining
the eligibility of the OFRI to be a presenter.  The OSTA Board felt that
organizations either under investigation or possible investigation would
not be eligible for inclusion at this or future conferences.  Our
colleagues at WSTA also agreed with this eligibility requirement.

Though OFRI was not deemed eligible for inclusion as an exhibitor; we
understand from your letter that your presentation and collaboration with
ODE, may have qualified as a conference presenter; however, based on your
original proposal, it was not clear to the OSTA Board and the decision was
made based on the above stated eligibility requirement.

We acknowledge and appreciate OFRI’s support of OSTA conferences in the
past.  We also acknowledge and appreciate your personal support of OSTA
both for your work on the Board and your presentations at prior
conferences.  We, of course, want to extend invitations to both OFRI and
you personally to submit proposals for future conferences.

Thank you,

Connie Robbins

OSTA President