[Poopdeck] – Poopdeck Issue 39 or thereabouts

John Ol' Chumbucket Baur chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Thu Jul 5 10:42:20 PDT 2007

THE POOPDECK                 The Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed.             Published when the fancy strikes
July 5 , 2007                          Issue No. 39 or thereabouts

                        www.talklikeapirate.com
-------------

            75 days until International Talk Like a Pirate Day!!!

* The Summer of the Pirate!
* Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club – Pirate Books for the Nippers
* Looking back at PyrateCon
* A Note from Chumbucket

________________________

** The Summer of the Pirate!!

That may sound like hyperbole, but what else can you call it? Starting
with the release of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" (which
is still pillaging theater box offices all over the country,) the CBS
show "Pirate Master," and the opening of at least four pirate-themed
museum exhibits around the country, you'd have to say that's what this
is – The Summer of the Pirate!.

Here are the four exhibits we know about. If we haven't mentioned yours
its because we don't know. Tell us. If you've already told us, tell us
again. It was probably the rum made us forget!

– National Geographic's traveling exhibit – Real Pirates – At the
Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal. It focuses on life aboard
Black Sam Bellamy's ship, the Wydah, and features more than 150
artifacts from that ship, along with actual pirate treasure, weaponry
and a recreation of the doomed vessel. This exhibit will move on to
Philadelphia, Chicago and other ports in the next couple of years.

– Pirates were active not just in the Caribbean, but in New England as
well. A new exhibit called, “A Short Life and Merry: Pirates of New
England,” is on display at the Heritage Museums & Gardens in Sandwich
on Massachusetts's Cap Cod.

– The Door County Maritime Museum,  in Sturgeon Bay, WI, has an exhibit
on pirates to appeal to the fascination shared by adults and children
alike. The exhibit features original artwork by our old friend Don
Maitz,  and includes history on the likes of Blackbeard, Captain Kidd,
Anne Bonney and Mary Read, and interactive stations to experience the
challenge of a pirate’s life.

– Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, S.C., is presenting the exhibit
"Pirates - Predators of the Sea." It's an interactive, educational
voyage into the underworld of sea predators

And don't forget the Pirate Soul Museum in Key West, where it's always
The Summer of the Pirate. There may be other such exhibits around the
country that just haven't been brought to our attention. If you know of
one, write to me and I'll pass the word along!

** Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club

Two titles for the wee ones

"Pirates Don't Change Diapers" –
Let's just say it – David Shannon is a genius. That's all there is to
it. Without his work, Melinda Long's two pirate books for kids would be
good. With them, "How I Became a Pirate" and the new sequel, "Pirates
Don't Change Diapers" are fantastic, two of the best read-along picture
books I've seen.

The new book is  wonderful, in some ways, even better than the
original. "How I Became a Pirate" showed a kid in a pirate's world. In
"Pirates Don't Change Diapers," the new book, the pirates come into his
world and are comically confounded by all sorts of things, especially
.... the boy's baby sister.

The story is fun, but like I said, the illustrations are fabulous.

My son and I especially got a kick out of the drawing of the pirates
trying to figure out the disposable diaper, with one getting the thing
caught on his hook and another wearing one over his head like a very
different eye patch.

"Pirates Don't Change Diapers" is a terrific book for the little pirate
in your life. You'll have as much fun reading it to the nipper as he or
she will while you read it aloud. It's another instant classic.

And David Shannon is a genius.

----

"Pirate Mom" by Deborah Underwood.
This is an early reader story that tells of a boy who loves pirates and
his mom who doesn't – until she's accidentally hypnotized and thinks
she IS a pirate! There's trouble with the neighbors, with the mailman,
with the PTA and the police. The story is a level 3 "early self-reader"
book and my son, Young Chumpail, gobbled it up and loved it.  It's a
book you'll enjoy reading with your kids, but a youngster can read by
him or herself. Definitely add it to your kid's bookshelf.

-----

And there's many, many more book reviews to come. I'm way behind on my
reading, and my apologies to all the authors and publishers who've sent
books (or in one case hand-delivered it.) I'll get them all done soon.
In the coming weeks reviews will include:

• "The Pirate Primer," by George Choundas
• "Real Caribbean Pirates," by Dan Asfar
* "Caribbean Pirates," by George Beahm
• "Cap'n Billy 'The Butcher' MacDougall's Guide to Pirate Parenting,"
by Tim Bete
• "Real Canadian Pirates" (that's not a typo) by Geordie Telfer

Short review – all are worth a read for very different reasons. For the
full reviews, watch upcoming issues of The Poopdeck!

And, of course, let me remind you that our own book, "Pirattitude!" is
available at a bookstore near you (if it's not, move near a bookstore
where it is, because it sure as hell should be!) and it makes a great
gift.

** Fun in New Orleans

I know, it's been two months since PyrateCon in New Orleans. Let me
just say for the record, we – Cap'n Slappy, Mad Sally and meself – had
a great time and can't wait to go back! Being part of a parade of more
than 750 pirates invading the French Quarter – that hasn't happened
since War of 1812! – was one of the coolest things we've ever done. The
audiences for our appearances were large and enthusiastic, and it was
great to meet many of the people we've met only online for many years
and also make many new friends. Plus, Cap'n Slappy might have gotten
married! We think he did, but it's hard to say. There was a fair amount
of drinking going on.

PyrateCon was a grand time. It was also a privilege to spend some time
in New Orleans, where the citizens never stopped asking, "Are you
enjoying our city?" "Are you having a good time?" and the like. Boy,
the people of New Orleans want you to know they're open for business
and would love to have you come for a visit. You should, too, it's a
great town for pirates!

To get a look at some of the fun we had and some of the friends we met,
go to our home page – http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html –
scroll down and clock the Flickr link on the left. That'll take you to
our photo page. Then just open the PyrateCon 2007 set and you're in
business. Although I have to admit not only the pictures are as sharp
or well framed as they should be – it got a little drunk out. Which
might explain the photos of "Cap'n Slappy's Wedding to Scarlett the
Harlot."

One Last Note!

Those who got to know the Chumbucket Clan by watching last September's
"Wife Swap" episode missed a few important things about the family. One
was that me wife, Mad Sally, doesn't sit around in the hot tub all day
(much as she'd like to, and who wouldn't?) She was, in fact, a
full-time college student, something ABC didn't see fit to mention.

The reason I mention it now is that last month, Mad Sally gradumacated!
Not only did she get her degree in English Literature from Oregon State
University, she graduated magna cum laude – with high honors! All of us
here at Team Pirate and especially me are as proud as hell of her
accomplishment and want you to know about it.

Until next time (and it'll be soon, I promise) I remain,

Your humble editor,
Ol' Chumbucket