[Poopdeck] The Poopdeck Issue 42

John Ol' Chumbucket Baur chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Wed Sep 5 09:36:39 PDT 2007

THE POOPDECK                  The Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed.             Published when the fancy strikes
September 5, 2007               Issue No. 42 or thereabouts

                        www.talklikeapirate.com
-------------

              13 days until Talk Like a Pirate Day!

In this Issue:
    ** Is Los Angeles Ready for the Pirate Guys?
    ** The Best Movie You've Never Heard Of Screening the 19th
    ** New Shirts, More Videos Online
    ** TLAPDay Events – The Calendaarrr is growing but there's plenty of
room!
    ** Fan Mail!!
    ** Portland Pirate Festival
    ** Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club – Double Yer Pleasure!

** Pirate Guys in L.A. On September 19!!

For the first time since Talk Like a Pirate Day burst into world
prominence, Cap'n Slappy and I will be on the road for the holiday.

That's right! Get ready Los Angeles, because here come the Pirate Guys!

We'll be the guests of Studio City Tattoo/Ye Olde Tattoo Parlor, which
will be holding its third annual Talk Like a Pirate Day Celebration.
The event has grown from an in-store promotion, spreading like the
plague throughout the neighboring business community. There will be
music, food, bawdy and boisterous buccaneers, a plenitude of piratical
paraphernalia to purchase, and a hellacious good deal on a skull and
crossbones tattoo.

They expect people to start lining up before 11 a.m., and the event
kicks off at noon. It'll last all day and into the evening, with plenty
of freebooter fun for all!

You can find more information by going to our links page:

http://talklikeapirate.com/links.html

Then scroll ALL the way to the bottom for the link to Studio City
Tattoos. The shop's address is 11032 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA
91604. You can call them at 818-769-4049.

Finally, because we'll be on the road, our media availability is likely
to be limited. Any of you media types out there planning to interview
the Pirate Guys should contact us sooner rather than later and we'll
pre-record something for the day!

** Pirate of the Great Salt Lake!

The best movie you've probably never heard of (YET!) is gong to be
playing in several cities this Sept. 19 as the production crew rallies
its army of supporters to get them a distribution deal.

"Pirates of the Great Salt Lake" is a hilarious story of a small crew
of pirates with a problem – they live in Utah today, not the Caribbean
a couple of hundred years ago. Cap'n Slappy saw it and immediately put
it on his Top 5 All-Time Favorite Pirate Movies list!

Showings are scheduled at 7:30 p.m. at:
The Hollywood Theater in Portland OR
The Egyptian Theater in Boise ID
Broadway Centre Cinemas in Salt Lake City UT

There's also plans for a screening in Los Angeles and possibly some
East Coast venues! We'll get you the details on that the minute we have
them! Slappy and I are tentatively slated to be on hand for the opening
of the L.A. screening.

So this year if you're in one of those cities on Sept. 19 – buckle on
yer finest pirate gear and get down to the screening of "Pirates of the
Great Salt Lake!"

To learn more about the movie and watch the very funny trailer, visit:

http://www.myspace.com/potgsl

** New Shirts, More Videos Online

Just a quick note that there are new T-shirt designs and new Pirate Guy
Videos going online.

The T-shirts feature three of the most famous pirates of all time
Black Bart, Blackbeard and Anne Bonny, and a catchy quote from each.
Check 'em out by going to:

http://talklikeapirate.com/booty.html

and clicking the link directly above the T-shirt.

The new videos include a public service announcement with a disturbing
twist! Mad Sally has been up to her usual skullduggery in getting these
to the public. And introducing – Cap'n Slappy's dog Buddy! Go to our
main page:

http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

and scroll down to the YouTube link:

More silly videos for YouTube are coming as the day draws nearer!

** Keep Sending Yer TLAPDay Events!

Our "Calendaarrr!" at:

http://talklikeapirate.com/tlapd07.html

is getting right full with all the events and parties and pillaging and
plundering that yer doing this year. Good on ye! The holiday may fall
on a Wednesday, but yer lettin' it slop over into both weekends and all
week long and good for you!

Keep 'em coming! There's still two weeks until International Talk Like
a Pirate Day. That's plenty of time for you to plan a raid on yer
favorite establishment in full pirate regalia!

** Fan Mail!!!

I don't usually do this, but that' mostly because we don't get a lot of
these, and Slappy and I were so proud we decided to share it with ye.

We got a letter from someone who purchased our pirate adventure book,
"The Diego Garcia Caper," and it wasn't Slappy's mother! That alone was
great news. But here's what he said.

"Just wanted to say a big well done to you two on the "Diego Garcia
Caper." I ordered this along with "The Sao Paulo Caper" to read on
holiday and was a little apprehensive what to expect. I was delighted,
reading "Diego Garcia" in about 4 days. I've never read a book that
fast and couldn't put it down. The story was brilliant, absolutely
hilarious, and also daft at times! ... Roll on September the 19th!"

For future reference, we've decided "I couldn't put it down" is the
single very best compliment you can pay an author. I can't begin to
tell you how good that felt. And "daft" was pretty cool, too.

"The Diego Garcia Caper" is available online through our Web site,
along with "Pirattitude!," "The Sao Paolo Caper" and "The Li'l Pirate's
ABSeas." (Pirattitude! is also available at any good bookstore. If they
don't have it, they're not good.) Just visit our Web page at:

http://talklikeapirate.com/book.html

And two more "Caper" books will be up in time for Christmas! you don't
want to miss that!

** Portland Pirate Festival!

Cap'n Slappy and I also will be attending the second Portland Pirate
Festival, slated for Sept. 22, 23 in Portland OR's Cathedral Park.

Last year the inaugural festival was so successful – attendance doubled
the expectation – that the organizers are slating two days of fun for
2007.

We're slated to perform each day as well as signing books. There'll be
beach battles, a Marauders Market, and plenty of other performers,
including:
Cap'n Bogg & Salty – Our very favorite pirate rock band
BOOM (The Brotherhood of Oceanic Merchants)
Broadside Johnnie ... and lots more!

It's an event you don't want to miss! you can learn lots more about it
by going to our links page:

http://talklikeapirate.com/links.html#festivals

and clicking the link to The Portland Pirate Festival!

** Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club

Double yer pleasure – "Real Caribbean Pirates" and "Real Canadian
Pirates"

These two volumes come from Folklore Publishing, a Canadian company.
They're both pretty good, but if I had to pick just one, I'd take the
Canadian volume, by Geordie Telfer.

Telfer has collected a group of pirate tales that were new to me – with
one notable exception. He claims Black Bart Roberts as a Canadian
because he spent a couple of months off Newfoundland. Roberts of course
was Scots by birth and did most of his work in the Caribbean and off
Africa. Still, the fact is he did spend a little time in Canadian
waters, so Telfer stakes his claim.

But for the rest, this was mostly new stuff for me and I appreciate the
chance to add to my store of pirate lore. Particularly intriguing was
the story of Peter Easton, "The Pirate Admiral," who was unknown to me
before opening Telfer's book. Quite a lot of the rest is War of 1812
privateering stories, all kind of interesting. Schools probably don't
teach much abut that war any more, and less about the naval battles or
the important role  privateers played on both sides. All in all it's a
pretty good read with a lot of information that'll be new to most.

On the other hand, Dan Asfar's "Real Caribbean Pirates" is mostly stuff
any pirate fan probably knows backwards and forewords.  Most of the
usual suspects are here, with chapters on Henry Morgan, Francis Drake,
Blackbeard, Jack Rackham, Anne Bonny and Mary Read. Two lesser known
but well-worth meeting pirates also discussed are Francois L'Ollonais
and Edward Low.

The careers of all of these have been well-recorded elsewhere, most
notably in Defoe's "A General History of the Robberies and Murders of
the Most Notorious Pirates." The difference here is in the telling.
Instead of treating them like biographies, Asfar tells the stories like
good sea yarns, which is what they are. There is, of course, no way to
know much of the thoughts and motivations or even most of the exact
words recorded here. But they go with what we know of the action, and
they make a good tale.

I would say if you're only planning to buy one of these books, the
Canadian volume might be the better choice because there's so much new
information. If you've already got the Defoe book, there's little in
Asfar's that you don't already have. But if you're new  to the world of
pirate lore, "Real Caribbean Pirates" isn't a bad place to start. It'll
whet yer appetite for more.

That's all I have room for now – Well, in reality, it was way more than
I had room for, but that's never stopped me before! We're getting close
to the holiday, there's a lot to tell ye, and we'll be back soon.

Make sure to tell yer friends (if you have any) to sign up for the
Poopdeck!
http://talklikeapirate.com/poopdeckpage.html
  It'll do 'em good!

Ol' Chumbucket, ed.