[Poopdeck] The Poopdeck – Issue No. 72 (probably)

John "Ol'Chumbucket" Baur chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Tue Sep 15 05:50:03 PDT 2009

THE POOPDECK
The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter

Ol' Chumbucket, ed.     Published now and again
Sept. 15, 2009             Issue No. 72 (or something like that)

        www.talklikeapirate.com

   3 Days Until International Talk Like a Pirate Day!!

Today's Inspirational Pirate Quote
    Capt. Kirk Redgrave: I know, mother, There's no room
    for pirates in heaven.
    St. Peter: Quite right. That's why we have 'Pirate Heaven!'
             "Pirates of the Great Salt Lake"

In this issue
  ** Where's the Action
  ** Charity Reminder
  ** Game Like a Pirate
  ** Pirate Booty
  ** Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club

** Where's the Action?

Talk Like a Pirate Day is approaching like a ship full o' filibusters descending on a galleon. And you've been letting us know about the parties being planned all over the place. There's events listed on our Calendaaarr (http://talklikeapirate.com/tlapd09.html)from Alaska to New York to Russia, Uraguay to England, Belgium to Australia.

But there's a handful of states missing. If there's an event planned in any of these, we haven't heard about it yet.

So c'mon! Where's the action in:

Alabama
Delaware
The District of Columbia
Georgia
Hawaii
Louisiana (maybe they got pirated out)
Mississippi
Montana
New Mexico
South Dakota
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming (But then, I'm not sure we've ever heard from Wyoming.)

-----------------------------

** Charity Reminder

Just a reminder that if you're using the holiday to raise money for a worthy cause, as so many people and groups are, let us know about it so we can write up your deeds! And afterwards, we'd like to know how much was raised. It amazes us how an idea that was essentially a joke when we first had it back in 1995 has morphed into a worldwide movement, that sometimes is used to make the world a better place.

So please, let us know what's up with your fund-raiser and how it all worked out.

-------------------------

** Game Like a Pirate

Lots of online Talk Like a Pirate day action. Plenty of people will be blogging like pirates, and here's some action going on in the world of online gaming.

*  Our pals at TellTale Games, who've been creatin' new episodes of the legendary Tales of Monkey Island game, are plannin' big things for TLAPD. Check their Web site for the announcement of what they're callin' Pirate Awareness Week, and stand by for fun!

I've played the new "Monkey Island" and it seems fun. Understand, I'm not a terrific gamer, and my hand on the Wii control isn't as steady as it might be. Let's just say you don't want me performing brain surgery on you – or anyone else. But I had fun exploring Flotsam Island. "Monkey Island" is one of those games where you not only have to overcome the obstacle, first you have to figure out what the obstacle is. Clever.

Like I say, I'm not a great gamer, but my kids enjoyed it quite a bit.

* World of Warcraft will once again celebrate its own Pirates Day on Sept. 19, with special rewards for players who find their way to Booty Bay - and return appearances by Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket as NPCs.

* In City of Heroes, Charlie Angus is planning a pirate-themed party for TLAPD.

* A fan of the Lord of the Rings Online MMORPG notes that the game had special surprises and rewards for TLAPD 2008, and hopes they'll do it again this year. Looks like they are!

* And don't forget "Pirates of the Burning Sea" - the only MMORPG (as far as we know) who actually feature Cap'n Slappy and meself as characters in the game as "international symbols of pirates having fun." They'll have some fun worked up for the holiday. And you might well run into me and Slappy!

* And finally, my personal favorite, "Sid Meier's Pirates" features an Easter egg that, on Sept. 19, turns everyone's dialogue into classic, Robert Newtonish pirate speak. So that's always fun.

------------------------

** Thanks to Pirate Booty

Pirate Booty – an all-natural snack food that's a perfect companion for yer tankard o' grog – is sending several cases of the product out to Alaska to share out among the freebooters who flock to Fairbanks for the appearance by Cap'n Slappy. Thanks!

** Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club

"Henry and the Crazed Chicken Pirates" by Carolyn Crimi, illustrated by John Manders. Published by Candlewick Press, $15.95 for young readers age 4 to 8.

A children's book about a band of buccaneer bunnies. It's sort of a reverse "the boy who cried wolf." Henry,  the book-reading, bespectacled young rabbit in the pirate crew worries that a crew of crazed chicken pirates are coming to steal their booty. No one will listen to his warnings so he starts compiling a book of plans on what to do in the event his worst fears come true.

The rest of the crew laughs at him, but when in fact the foul fowl do descend on them, he's the only one who's ready. The rest of the rabbits are captured, and it's up to Henry to save the day.

A brightly illustrated fable about being prepared, not a bad thing for the kiddies, who will enjoy watching Henry come to the rescue of his crewmates and his own reputation.

I'll give it three tankards of grog (well, make that three tankards of sarsaparilla, it's a kid's book, after all) out of a possible five.

The holiday is almost here. You'll hear more from us soon.

 Ol' Chumbucket, editor