[Poopdeck] The Poopdeck Issue No. 97

chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Sun Sep 18 08:40:33 PDT 2011

THE POOPDECK
The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed. – Published more often this time of year
Sept. 18, 2011 – Issue No. 97

http://www.talklikeapirate.com

TOMORROW is International Talk Like a Pirate Day!!

In this issue:

   ** Pirate Guys On the Air (or the "Aarrr!")
   ** Slappy's New Project
   ** A Great Honor
   ** North Dakota is Heard From!
   ** Drunken Sailor Sing-a-Long
   ** Talk Like a Pirate Day Tuneup Tip
   ** A Terrific Deal
==============

** Pirate Guys On the Air (or the "Aarrr!")

It's almost International Talk Like a Pirate Day, and that means Cap'n Slappy and I are doing a lot of radio interviews over the phone, as usual. Turn on your radio in Philly, or Mansfield Ohio, or Perth or Auckland or San Jose or other points and there's a good chance you'll hear our familiar "Aarrr!"

But this year there's one interview you can catch from anywhere you can get an internet connection. The Pirate guys are the host of Beachfront Radio, an internet radio station that specializes in "trop rock" (think Jimmy Buffet and  laid back acts like that.) You can hear it at

http://www.beachfrontradio.com/home.cfm

We'll be on Monday with DJ Jeff about halfway through his "Amish Beach Party" show, which runs from Noon Pacific Time to 3 p.m. It will be replayed that evening about 9.

-------

** Slappy's New Project

Cap'n Slappy has been busy this year on a genius project with our friend Talderoy. The two pirates have created a great literary adventure for the wee ones that is sure to become a family yuletide classic. The book is "Pirate Santa," cleverly written by Cap'n Slappy with amazing illustrations by Jun Alvarado (featuring images of a few pirates you might know personally.) The website launches Monday and the book will be out sometime around Thanksgiving. This book is going to be a big holiday hit, so order yer copy early and often! Congratulations me pirate mates!

Learn all about it at www.piratesanta.com

------------------

** A Great Honor

It is, I have to say, the single greatest honor that has been accorded to me since Mad Sally agreed to marry me. Okay, let's put it in the top ten. But it is still very cool ...

Twisted Oak Winery in Northern California, is naming a wine after me and this old pirate couldn't be more thrilled. You can have a sip of Ol' Chumbucket, and it will taste a LOT better than that phrase sounds.

Twisted Oak's "Ol' Chumbucket" is blended mostly from Tempranillo and Monostrell and "might savor aromas of blueberries, white chocolate, and the finest allspice from the Spanish Main; and flavors of the blackest cherry, pomegranate, chocolate and coffee," according to the winery's boss – who goes by El' Jefe. With that blend of flavors, who wouldn't want to quaff me?

You can find it online at http://www.twistedoak.com/chum2008.

-------------------

** North Dakota is Heard From!

Jezebel the Web Wench reports that the list of Talk Like a Pirate Day Parties and activities is growing like crazy, and we've even got one listed now in North Dakota! I don't think that's ever happened before.

You can see the map is at http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html

It's not too late to join the hundreds of events listed on our Big Map o' Piratey Fun! There are events taking place all over – make sure yours is one of the ones we list, or use the map to find a party near you. And send a picture of your festivities to Jezebel at webwench at talklikeapirate.com.

Check out our pirate pictures already posted at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/talklikeapirateday/

-------------------

** 'Drunken Sailor Sing-Along'

If you haven't seen our 2011 International Talk Like a Pirate Day video project, "The First Annual International Talk Like a Pirate Day Sing-Along a Go Go," this is the perfect day to enjoy it. If you have, keep spreading the word to your friends.

You can see it right on our front page - www.talklikeapirate.com

Or visit us on YouTube at:

http://tinyurl.com/OfficialWench

It features more than 30 separate clips of more than 50 pirates, fans and friends, four rubber chickens, Pandaboy, a Pulitzer Prize winning columnist and a beer swillin' pig. They come from all over the U.S. – from the Virgin Islands to Seattle, from Los Angeles to upstate New York, with stops all over the country and more than a few surprises!

------------------

** Talk Like a Pirate Tune Up

Another tip for taking like a pirate this Sept. 19. Because ye've gotta get beyond "Arrr."

Today's tip – "Take a caulk." Life at sea is a lot of work, but if you're a pirate there's always time for a nap. So you stretch out on the deck, and when you wake up, there are lines of caulk down your back. The caulk seals the space between deck planks to keep them water tight, and especially down in the Caribbean it can get soft and ooze a bit. So when you "take a caulk," that means you're taking a nap, probably at work.

Previous tips – Belay that!
                Prepare to be boarded!
                The captain's daughter

You'll find lots more such tips and treasures in our two books, "Pirattitude!" and "The Pirate Life," which you can purchase online through the links here – http://talklikeapirate.com/book.html.

** A Terrific Deal

Longtime readers of Ol' Chumbucket's Book Club will remember I raved over Keith Thomson's "Pirates of Pensacola." It is one of the two funniest novels I've ever read (Christopher Moore's "The Stupidest Angel" is the other, but non-pirate) and in my review I said it was "Terrific, hilarious. A modern day pirate story that's part Robert Louis Stevenson, part Jimmy Buffet and part Doug Adams."

Well, Keith wrote to me yesterday to tell me the book has just been released for Kindle on Amazon, and for the 24 hours of Talk Like a Pirate Day it will be offered for only 99 cents. This is your chance to get the funniest pirate novel ever for less than the price of a pack of gum. (And what does it say that a pack of gum costs a buck?)

For the eve of the holiday, enjoy the video and share it far and wide! And all the rest of the Official Wench's videos. And remember that tomorrow is the day – Talk Like a Pirate Day! You have the buckles, doggone it, go out and swash 'em!

Ol' Chumbucket, editor