[Poopdeck] - The Poopdeck, Issue No. 116. THREE Days Until TLAPDay

chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Tue Sep 16 11:11:08 PDT 2014

THE POOPDECK

The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed. – Published When the Wind Blows
Sept. 16, 2014 – Issue No. 116

http://www.talklikeapirate.com

Three Days Until Talk Like a Pirate Day

In this edition:
   - Tuneful Pirates and Lots More
   - A Song for the Wee Ones
   - Tongue Twisting Isn't Just a Way to Get Lubbers to Tell Where the Gold's Hidden
   - Books for Buccaneer Bibliophiles
   - Pirates on the Air

----------------------------------

-- Tuneful Pirates and Lots More

A family night of pirate music, mostly Gilbert & Sullivan, is on tap beginning at 7 p.m., at the Harbor Town Amphitheater behind the Montessori school, 740 Harbor Bend Road Memphis, TN 38103. The artists-in-residence, as well as local singers, will take the stage. There will be a table with supplies to help the kids make pirate hats.

That's just one of the scores of events taking place all around the world to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day. You can find something near you by checking the big map of piratey goodness on our website, http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html.

And if you can't find a concert, party, pub crawl or whatever in your waters – you know what to do. Plan one yourself! Then let us know and we'll post it on the map!

---------------------------------------

-- A Song for the Wee Ones

For those looking for a way to include your young nippers in the fun of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, may we suggest you share this little ditty with them, a song penned by Cap'n Slappy his own self!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM1NUGlo2ww

---------------------------------------

-- Tongue Twisting Isn't Just a Way to Get Lubbers to Tell Where the Gold's Hidden

The good folk at Pirate's Grog Rum – and we know they're good folk because they make rum – are willing to give away a little of that golden nectar, if ye're up to it!

Pirate's Grog Rum is celebrating International Talk Like a Pirate Day with a contest, and it's not to late to get in the fun. Very simply, just get someone to video record you performing the tongue twister below and upload that video to Facebook, using the hashtags #PiratesGrog #ITLAPD.

They choose the the best pirate performance and sendin' the lucky buccaneer a bottle of their finest!

---------------------------------------

-- Books for Buccaneer Bibliophiles

Seven historical fiction authors are giving away seven pirate novels, including "Jake Hawking & the Bounty Hunters" by J.M. Aucoin, "Heart Like an Ocean" by Christine Steendam, "The Witch from the Sea" by Lisa Jensen,"The Alliance" by SK Keogh, "Sea Witch" by Helen Hollick (I've read that one – Darn good!) "The Pirates of Alnari" by Dan Eldredge, and "Gentleman of Fortune" by Nick Smith.

The contest is under way through Sept. 19, and it's not to late to enter. Just go the this website:
http://jmaucoin.com/here-there-be-pirates-book-giveaway/
And sign in. You can earn additional entries by liking the authors’ Facebook pages and Twitter accounts. The more social media accounts you follow, the more entries you get. The more entries you get, the better your chances are of winning. Simple as that. (and we all know pirates like things simple.)

----------------------------------

-- Pirates on the Air

This just in from our best wine-making pal, Jeff Stai, known as El Jefe, from the amazing Twisted Oak Winery, which by the way, is sadly sold out of the wine named for yours truly –

http://tinyurl.com/o8dz2vq

- about a TLAPDay contest for shortwave radio enthusiasts – the Pirate of the Airwaves!

You can learn about it here –

http://pirateqsoparty.weebly.com/

In lay-pirate terms, you call "CQ Avast!" and someone else answers you. You tell each other your pirate name and number of doubloons you currently have. You get points for doing this. You can also "take" doubloons from the other station, or make them "walk the plank". Your final score is your final number of doubloons times your points. The winners earn fame and glory!

Anyone with a shortwave capable radio can at least listen in. Tune around the following frequencies to find radio pirates:

7.225 MHz

14.275 MHz

21.325 MHz

El Jefe said he expects the lower frequency numbers will have more varmints, whatever that means. He added, "I wish I could take credit for this, but it is the brainchild of San W6RRR. (Get it? Arr!)"

Keep spreadin' the word!

Ol' Chumbucket