[Poopdeck] – The Poopdeck, Issue No. 123

chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Mon May 11 12:20:54 PDT 2015

THE POOPDECK

The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed. – Published When the Wind Blows
May 11, 2015 – Issue No. 123

http://www.talklikeapirate.com

130 Days Until International Talk Like a Pirate Day

In this issue:
** I'm Excited

** But Wait! There's More!

** Cap'n Slappy's Personal Pirate Post

** One Cool Way to Celebrate TLAPDay

----------------------

** I'm Excited!

Summer is right around the corner, and that means the pirate festival season is in full swing, with a huge weekend coming up the first weekend of June.

And I for one couldn't be more excited.

Earlier this year I turned 60. And next month, the Billy Bowlegs Pirate Festival does the same thing! It couldn't be a coincidence, could it?

No, because here's another. The 60th Annual Billy Bowlegs Festival takes place June 4-6. And this June 6 is also the 20th anniversary of the racquetball game that will live forever in pirate lore. June 6, 1995, was the day Cap'n Slappy and I came up with the idea for International Talk Like a Pirate Day. We went onto the court as a couple of guys trying to get in shape. We came off as pirates! Then took the idea WAY too far.

To celebrate the triple anniversary, my bride Mad Sally and I are going to be in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., for the landing, and to cheer on Billy and his crew as they storm the city.

It'll be the first pirate festival we've attended since before we moved to the islands back in 2008. In February we visited Fort Walton Beach, got the lay of the land and met some great people. We were sold. Before we left town we'd reserved a room for festival weekend at a nearby resort. Good thing, too. The town fills up for the festival and we got the last room at that inn.

We've got a couple of new pirate shirts, and I'll have my new, custom-made pirate hat by then. Want to make a good impression. We're ready to go!

And to add to the fun, our friend Tom Mason will perform with the Blue Buccaneers at the festival the night of June 6. Perhaps, in honor of the 20th anniversary, we can persuade him to perform his holiday song, "Talk Like a Pirate Day."

If you're within a day's drive of the Florida panhandle, you really want to get down to the festival. You can find details for making your plans right here: http://www.billybowlegsfestival.com/

There'll be fireworks and filibusters, pirates pillaging and plundering – and – fun for the kiddies!

We'll see you there!

----------------------

** But Wait! There's More!

One of the biggest festivals on the pirate calendar is at the end of this month – the Blackbeard Festival in Hampton, Va. It takes place May 30 and 31.

It literally is one of the biggest pirate gatherings in the world, drawing freebooters from all over the east coast for a weekend of pure pirate pleasure. You can learn lots more about it right here: http://www.hampton.gov/blackbeard

And that's just the start of the busiest part of the festival season. No matter where you are, there's likely to be a happening near you. I don't pretend to know all of them – I don't know about them if you don't tell me – but just the weekend of Billy Bowlegs, June 6-7, there's plenty to choose from. For instance:

– The Texas Pirate Fest, Hillsboro, Texas, June 6-7

http://texaspiratefest.com/

– St. Augustine, Fla., the annual recreation of Sir Francis Drake's raid on St. Augustine, Fla., June 6. Come join the fun as English privateers sack and burn the oldest European settlement in the U.S.!

– Norfolk, Va., Harborfest, June 5-7

http://festevents.org/events/2015-season-events/harbor-fest/

– Old World Buccaneer Bash Augusta Mich. June 6-7

https://www.facebook.com/TheBuccaneerBash

– Boston Pirate Pub Crawl June 9

http://crawlinboston.com/pirate/

And that's just what I've been told about. There's undoubtedly a lot more going on that weekend, and all summer long. Check your local listings, as the saying goes, and if you find one in your neck of the woods (arm of the sea?) by all means let me know!

----------------------

** Cap'n Slappy's Personal Pirate Post

(I now turn over the Poopdeck to Cap'n Slappy, who has a request for the brethren.)

Uncle Slappy was not blessed with children – but that has never stopped me from being a buttinski. I am working on a collection of children's stories for adults who want to manipulate those children. I'm calling it, "Uncle Slappy's Twisted Tales for Tykes of Ruthlessly Manipulative Parents: Volume 1." Really, this is an actual project I'm working on.

Any reader who has a story about how he/she ruthlessly manipulated a wee one, or tales of how he or she was manipulated by an authority figure, and who think Cap'n Slappy might like to steal it for personal gain (Spolier Alert: Of course I would!) send it to me at capnslappy at talklikeapirate.com.

** One Cool Way to Celebrate TLAPDay

Cap't Davey Bonnie up in Canada is planning one of the cooler events to celebrate ITLAPDay, an undersea search for honest to gods sunken treasure. The Mary Ward ran aground and was destroyed by a storm in 1872 in Georgian Bay, an inlet on Lake Superior. Davey is assembling a rag tag crew of wanna-be pirates to celebrate the Sept. 19 holiday by locating the wreck and scouring her bones for treasure. You can reach Cap't Bonnie at ddonaldson at TidalShift.ca.

And here's a heads up – there will be a couple of big announcements from the Pirate Guys in the next few weeks as we get closer to the holiday, couple of things we think you'll be as excited about as we are. We're not quite there, want to nail it down, but we'll tell you soon.

Until then, I remain your humble Poopdeck editor and corsair correspondent, Ol' Chumbucket