[Poopdeck] _ The Poopdeck, Issue 125, Sept. 3, 2015

chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Thu Sep 3 17:03:20 PDT 2015

THE POOPDECK

The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
Ol' Chumbucket, ed. – Published When the Wind Blows
September 3, 2015 – Issue No. 125

http://www.talklikeapirate.com

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalTalkLikeAPirateDay

Ahoy! 15 Days Until International Talk Like a Pirate Day!

There's been a slight delay in getting the book, "Chrissie Warren: Pirate Hunter," ready for you to purchase. It's up online, I've done everything I'm supposed to do. It's just Amazon takes it's own sweet time deciding to post. The ebook is available (see our website, http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html) but if you were waiting for the paperback, it'll be a couple more days.

In the meantime, here's what else is going on!

In this Issue

** SMOKED RIBS: Man Keeps His Priorities Straight

** SLAPPY and OL' CHUMBUCKET, Together Again

** BILGERATS and PYRETTES: New Video Launch

** PIRATE'S LULLABY – Book Launch

--------------------------------

** SMOKED RIBS: Man Keeps His Priorities Straight

Robert Wright is a hero to remember on Sept. 19. The Fresno resident was cooking ribs in his apartment at 3 a.m. Tuesday when his neighbor's apartment caught fire. Robert got his family out, then he got – The Ribs! All the things he might have gone back for – family photos, important documents, an expensive electronic gizmo – no, he made sure the ribs were safe. "I was hungry," he explained.

Why does this news merit our attention? Because barbecued pork ribs are the official food of International Talk Like a Pirate Day. The word buccaneer comes from the word boucan, a form of smoked meat cooked slowly on a "barbecu," a lattice of green wood, in the Caribbean. A "boucanier" was someone who made boucan. So we adopted that most delicious of foods as our official TLAPDay meal.

Robert Wright! We salute you! Now pass the sauce!

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article33755211.html

-----------------------------

** SLAPPY and OL' CHUMBUCKET, Together Again

It's been seven years since Cap'n Slappy and I performed our pirate schtick at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. What with me and Mad Sally setting course for the Caribbean and Slappy staying in his home waters of the northwest, it just wasn't happening. But all that is changing this Sept. 19!

Studio City, California, will be the center of the pirate universe as Talderoy, owner of the shop, hosts his annual Talk Like a Pirate Day Bash.

The event will feature mermaids, music, food, frivolity – and a discount on select pirate tattoos! If you're in Southern California, this is the place to be. The action begins at 11 a.m. and will run all day.

Look online at https://www.studiocitytattoo.com/talk-like-a-pirate-day-shop-party-2/

We'll see you there!

---------------------------

** BILGERATS and PYRETTES: New Video Launch

Fresh off hosting the Square Rig Shindig last month, our friends Kate and Shuhe (you probably know them by their pirate monickers, Margot and Luc the Lucky) are are launching the animated video of their band Bilge Rats and Pyrettes.

It launches Friday! Go to https://www.youtube.com/c/bilgeratspyrettes to enjoy it, then click on the red "subscribe" button under the banner to be notified when we publish! With 500 subscribers they can link to PirateFesTV and revive that channel with new video over the winter months, and as a subscriber you'll get notified every time they launch a new video!

It's all part of their effort to relaunch the Portland Pirate Festival in 2016. So lend a hand, and enjoy some good pirate tunes by a group of fine maritime musicians!

** PIRATE'S LULLABY – Book Launch

Turns out I'm not the only pirate penman launching a book this Sept. 19. Marcie Wessels will be holding a launch party at 5 p.m. at the Barnes and Noble in Mira Mesa, 10775 Westview Parkway, San Diego, CA.

"Pirate's Lullaby" is beautifully illustrated tale of a wee sprog who uses all the wiles and cunning at his disposal to evade the Papa Pirate's efforts to get him to bed. Read it to your own powder monkeys at bedtime. You'll all laugh, you'll enjoy the tale, and (Spoiler Alert!) just like Papa Pirate, you'll nod off first.

The holiday is almost here. Remember to check our big map of piratey fun at http://talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html to find a holiday event near you. And make sure you send us word of your own events so we can mark YOUR spot with an X.

Until next time,

Ol' Chumbucket