[Poopdeck] - The Poopdeck, issue 129

chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com
Wed Jan 27 05:37:17 PST 2016

The Official Talk Like A Pirate Day Newsletter
John "Ol' Chumbucket" Baur, editor, – Published Every now and then
Jan. 27, 2016 – Issue No. 129
http://www.talklikeapirate.com

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalTalkLikeAPirateDay

236 days until International Talk Like a Pirate Day

In this issue:

** Pirates! I Need Information

** Gasparilla Kicks Off Pirate Season

** Chumbucket Presents at Jambalaya Writers Conference

----------------------------------

** Pirates! I Need Information

Calling the pirate brethren, particularly those on the East Coast. I need your help.

Mad Sally and I are going to be in Virginia this June for the Hampton Blackbeard Festival (http://www.hampton.gov/index.aspx?nid=2008.) I'm also hoping to meander north after the fun to visit my niece and her new husband in Maryland. And we're planning (well, thinking about, it's too early to call it planning) to head down the coast through the Carolinas, Georgia and probably the northern part of Florida.

The help I need is information: Anyone know any places – bookstores, bars, restaurants, libraries – likely to schedule a book reading and/or pirate gathering? I'll be traveling with many, many copies of "Chrissie Warren: Pirate Hunter," along with copies of some of the books Cap'n Slappy and I have written, and would love to get together with my fellow buccaneers on the east coast.

If you have any suggestions of who I should contact, drop a message in an e-bottle to me at chumbucket at talklikeapirate.com and I'll start putting together an itinerary.

Looking forward to palavering with the pirates this summer. See you on the coast.

----------------------

** Gasparilla Kicks Off Pirate Season

Gasparilla, one of the jewels of the pirate festival circuit, kicks off this weekend. This is the 101st festival, which has got to make it the oldest pirate festival in the country, and probably in the world.

The event begins Friday, Jan. 29, and Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla invades the city of Tampa Saturday, Jan. 30. The parade that follows is one of the biggest in the country.

There's plenty of other activities on the schedule. You can read all about it at http://gasparillapiratefest.com/ and make your plans accordingly.

Gasparilla is sort of the unofficial kickoff for the pirate festival season, and there are events all over the country. Some of the big ones coming up in the next few months include Searle's Sack of St. Augustine March 5, commemorating legendary pirate Robert Searle's attack of the town in 1668. Adding to the excitement for the folks in America's oldest city is that on the same day, the Order of Leviathan will hold its annual induction ceremony in the same town! Then there's NOLA Pyrate Week, March 25 through April 3 in New Orleans; followed less than two weeks later by Shore Leave, sponsored by the NOLA Wenches April 14-17, and the Fells Point Privateer Festival.

There's lots, lots more, of course. These are just some of the bigger ones that I know of. And a lot of them are in Florida because, this time of year, not a lot of pirate festivals in the northeast with two or more feet of snow.

Keep an eye on our links page, http://talklikeapirate.com/links.html#festivals, and the Poopdeck, and we'll try to keep you up to date.

** Chumbucket Presents at Jambalaya Writers Conference

Speaking of schedules, I've got an event coming up that isn't exactly in the pirate realm, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll be one of the speakers at the Jambalaya Writers Conference April 2 in Houma, La. I was asked, I assume, because I took part in the Houma library's book fair back in October with my book, "Chrissie Warren: Pirate Hunter." So it is pirate.

This is new territory for me and I'm excited to take part in the conference.

And speaking of "Chrissie," you can still get a signed copy of the paperback by going to http://tinyurl.com/nu5ajsz. I think you'll find, like others who have read it, that it's a ripping good pirate yarn with action, humor and adventure.

I like to think "Chrissie" speaks for herself. But so do readers, who've said: "I laughed, I cried, and I can't say I could enjoy anything more. This has to be among the top in my favorite pirate books." "Fabulous!" "A n action-packed and fast-paced swashbuckler that will keep young pirates and pirate apprentices, as well as older pirates, on the edges of their seats." And I've got more such encomiums (a fancy word I swear I didn't use in the book) online at http://baurlife.com/chrissie-warren-pirate-hunter/

That's all for now. See you on the road!

Ol' Chumbucket, editor