[White-water] Fish-for-Boaters project: Comment period on Metolius River wood project extended

Gordon Taylor gordontctaylor at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 10:01:43 PDT 2007

Greetings:

I just talked to the Forest Service about their Metolius
wood-for-fish-habitat project.  The comment period is being extended for 30
days.

I was told by the Forest Service that they think it would take 200 years for
wood in the river to come back to the amount of wood that was in the river
100 years ago, and that they plan to introduce salmon and the fish need the
habitat of old.

I told the Forest Service that a woman boater was killed in Washington when
she came out her boat and washed into the root ball of a tree installed to
create fish habitat.  Thus, the tradeoff is fish for boaters.  I asked how
many fish would it take to replace the value of the boaters that will be
killed on the logs they plan to install.

Call or write the Forest Service with your views on installing logs in the
Metolius.

Gordon

[Melissa Bearns] Hi all,
The address in the USFS letter has a typo so the one I first sent out is
incorrect and will bounce back to you.
The correct address to send comments to is
Comments-pacificnorthwest-deschutes-sisters at fs.fed.us

The number for the Sisters Ranger District is 541-549-7700.
The contacts there are Michael Riehle and Michael Keown.

They've only received 7 comments total on this issue. That means the boating
community has an incredibly huge opportunity here to have an impact on this
project. So please, please comment.

Saying something about the potential damage to the riparian zones, riverbank
and riverbed from their proposed methods to get the wood into the river is
also a strong argument, in addition to boater safety.

Syotr,
Melissa