[White-water] Study: Human activities threaten world's rivers

Jack Doyle oriverat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 17:04:56 PDT 2020

Study: Human activities threaten world's rivers<http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/mBtWDtxlzssjpYesfDzfbgfCLuve?format=multipart>
[Study: Human activities threaten world's rivers]
Mekong River (Lillian Suwanrumpha/Getty Images)
Damming, dredging, pollution, water diversion and other human-related activities pose more of an immediate threat to the world's rivers than climate change, scientists say. "Our main point is that we worried that the understandable concern about dangerous climate change -- which is real and warranted -- has meant that in some cases the main causes of dangerous environmental change are sometimes overlooked," says Stephen Darby, co-author of the study in One Earth.
Full Story: United Press International<http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/mBtWDtxlzssjpYesfDzfbgfCLuve?format=multipart> (6/19)

~~~
“A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.” ~Franklin D. Roosevelt