[Osta-board] growing pains with the postal service

bcarlsen bcarlsen at reed.edu
Thu Mar 4 23:04:37 PST 2010

Aaargh,

      There are a few "growing pains" with the new USPS mailing
requirements for the TOST.
      The labels now contain such a big barcode that they no longer
can contain the membership expiration date.
      The membership list has to go through an NCOA update system that
automatically gives correct addresses for people who have moved.  But
this new automated system won't let me make individual corrections,
additions, or removals.

      So,Bruce will get two TOSTs this week.  Lori Lancaster now lives
on "Cesar Chevez Blvd" instead of 39th Ave.  And we have to pay extra
because someone misspelled Palatine St as Palantine St.  It's stuff
like that, and like the computer doesn't realize that it is a person's
work address and not their home address.  Ah, the exasperating world
of computer data basis !  Poop !

      There are also some problems with the TOST as well.  The
masthead and back pages still contain last year's names.  So Allan,
you are still "President" !  Sorry new board members . . . maybe we
can talk you into running for another term so that you can get your
addresses in the journal !

     Anyway, let me know when it arrives at your house.  They went
into the bulk mail unit in Portland on Thursday, March 4th at 3:30PM.
  Only "MERLIN" knows when you will get yours !

     Thank you for all that you do!
           Best wishes,  Bernie