[Osta-board] Conference Themes

Lori Lancaster lancaster.ld at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 09:42:37 PST 2012

Colleagues:

I've been thinking about the themes we came up with for the conference:

Bridges to...

1. The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
2. STEM
3. Literacy

I'd like you all to consider changing the third one to something that will
encompass Literacy, but also get the attention of administrators:

Common Core Standards in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics.

Most states have, or are, adopting these.  This is also a chance for
science educators to highlight "what we can do for you" with respect to
literacy and mathematics outcomes.  In fact, my administrators are
requiring that we place them into our content curriculum maps.  We also saw
places for them in the NGSS.

So, having said that, what are your thoughts?