[Osta-board] Election ethics?

Bernie Carlsen bcarlsen at reed.edu
Sun Jun 28 06:08:53 PDT 2015

Hello Bradford,

     Here is another item to be brought up for Board discussion at this
week's Retreat.  The board really needs to consider some "strategic
planning" to get an Oregonian elected to the position of NSTA Region XVII
Director.   In the recent past elections, the candidates from Oregon have
been overwhelmed by the Washington candidates mainly because of the sheer
numbers of members in Washington!   In the last election, an ambitious TOSA
from Bellingham, completely unknown by the leadership of WSTA, won despite
the assurances from WSTA board colleagues that it was "Oregon's turn" to
have a representative.
     Although he is a nice fellow, he became a school principal just after
his NSTA election, and his school responsibilities prevented him from any
involvement with OSTA.  He completely snubbed Lori's Centennial Conference
despite the fact that a former Bellingham science teaching colleague
volunteered to bring the NSTA display to our conference.  Lori had Bill
Badders here, for heaven's sake, and her conference was completely built
around NSTA's NGSS strands.
     The same thing is happening this year at Sue's Bend Conference.  Sue
is bringing in NSTA speakers and her strands are based on NSTA themes of
NGSS for Oregon, yet not a peep from the current Region XVII Director.
     Oregon deserves better representation!   But with both Lynda and Lori
planning to run for that position, some "strategic planning" is needed by
the board to help promote their candidacies and insure the election of a
person who will represent the interests of all of the NSTA members and
their state organizations in Region XVII.

     Please add this item to the discussions this week at the OMSI retreat.

        Peace and friendship,   Bernie