[Osta-board] Your help needed for promoting workshops & 2017 conference

OSTA Communications communications at oregonscience.org
Wed Jan 4 10:44:56 PST 2017

Happy New Year, Colleagues!

I hope you had a restful holiday season.

I need  your help in promoting our upcoming MS NGSS workshops and in
soliciting session proposals for the 2017 Conference. *Please send the
information below through your school district and other professional
networks.  *

It is also very important that you send the link to the 2017 Conference Page
<http://www.oregonscience.org/OSTA17> to anyone you believe should be
invited to present at the conference.  We need your help in making sure
that we have quality sessions to offer conference attendees.  *Please
consider submitting a session proposal yourself.*  Deadline for session
proposals is April 30.

Also, if you have a *regional networking event *coming up, please send me
the following information and I will create the event registration, then
send out an invitation to your region:

   - Title
   - Location: Name and address
   - Registration limit
   - Date & Time
   - Description
   - Registration fee (if any)

The regional networking opportunities are important to stay connected with
our members, and to ensure them that they are not alone.  Remember, your
regional networking event does not need to be elaborate.  Simply providing
some appetizers at a local restaurant after school and talking shop can be
as valuable to a colleague as an unconference.  You have authorization to
spend up to $100 on food for your regional meetings.  You'll need to just
save your receipts, fill out a reimbursement form, and send it along to
Terry. Reimbursement forms and instructions can be found in the organizational
documents page
<https://sites.google.com/a/oregonscience.org/ostaboard/5-organizational-documents>
of
the OSTA Board website
<https://sites.google.com/a/oregonscience.org/ostaboard/home>.

*For those of you in our more rural regions, we do have our video
conferencing account that you could use for a regional meeting. * Just let
me know, and I'll set you up for that.

This is also is a friendly reminder that the next Board meeting will be on
January 26th from 4-6pm online.  We will have the agenda with linked
documents for you to review the week prior to the meeting.  This and future
board meeting dates and locations can be found on the Calendar page
<https://sites.google.com/a/oregonscience.org/ostaboard/3-board-meetings> of
the OSTA Board website.

And while you are on the OSTA Board Website, if you haven't confirmed your
contact information
<https://sites.google.com/a/oregonscience.org/ostaboard/2-current-board-members>.
Please do that, and send me any corrections.

Stay warm!

Lori Lancaster
Communications Coordinator
Oregon Science Teachers Association
www.oregonscience.org

*****For you to send through your networks.  Feel free to edit as
needed.**********

*NGSS Workshops for Middle School Science Teachers
<http://www.oregonscience.org/Events>*

These popular workshops are active, hands-on experiences designed for
middle school science teachers who want to see what NGSS looks like in the
classroom. Taught by instructors Susan Holveck and Berkeley Gadbaw;
Berkeley is currently teaching middle school, and Susan guides teachers in
NGSS implementation for grades K-12 in the Beaverton School District.

During these workshops, teachers will explore how lessons and units can be
three-dimensional — including the three components of the NGSS:
Crosscutting Concepts, Disciplinary Core Ideas, and Scientific &
Engineering Practices.

Teachers will conduct investigations and design solutions to problems that
can be used in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. You will walk away with strategies
and resources that can be used right away, and the tools that will help you
to "Next-Genify" lessons you are currently using.

*Location*: Raleigh Hills K-8, 5225 SW Scholls Ferry Road, Portland, OR
97225
*Time:* 8am - 4pm
*Fee for each workshop:* $100 for OSTA Members, $125 for Non-Members

   Saturday, February 11, 2017
   - Life Science: <http://www.oregonscience.org/event-2384520> Saturday,
   March 18, 2017
   - Earth Science <http://www.oregonscience.org/event-2384468>: Saturday,
   April 29, 2017

*Space is limited*, so register today!*
*A minimum of 10 participants must be met to provide the workshop.

2017 OSTA Fall Conference on Science Education
<http://www.oregonscience.org/OSTA17>
*Full STEAM Ahead: Unleash the Power of NGSS*
*October 13-14, 2017, Portland Community College Sylvania Campus*

Share your expertise by submitting a session proposal. We are currently
soliciting proposals for sessions in the following strands:

   - Phenomenon: Exploring Your World
   - Equity: All Aboard!
   - Generating Energy Through the Interconnectedness of STEAM

For details about each strand, and and to submit your proposal, see
our Conference
Page <http://www.oregonscience.org/OSTA17>. Deadline for submissions is
April 30, 2017.