[Osta-board] Please read as your response is respectfully required.

OSTA Communications communications at oregonscience.org
Fri Jun 16 12:10:37 PDT 2017

Hello Board Members,

Before you take off for your well-earned summer break, please read through
this rather long email, as there are important things that we will need you
to respond to as well as reminders and resources.

*We really need you to help us in organizing the OSTA Board retreat.*
 Please remember that this is one of the two required face-to-face meetings
that you committed to
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3aCh4HlZitOUVVxekVzRUZNLUU> when you
agreed to become an OSTA Board member.

This retreat will provide the direction and planning of the next years'
activities, so that I may help support you in your efforts to provide
leadership and support to our science teachers in your region.  *OSTA's
success really does depend on your active involvement and commitment to
serve your colleagues and by extension, Oregon's students.*

In order to make planning decisions, we are asking that you *please
register your retreat attendance at OSTA's Events page
<http://www.oregonscience.org/Events>*. *The registration is restricted to
board members, so you will not see it unless you are logged onto the OSTA
website.  *We need you to register whether you are attending or not, please.

This registration will also serve as a record of your leadership activities
as a member of the board in order for me to provide *PDU certificates to
you for your service and attendance at board meetings.* Thank Dave Johnson
for reminding me of this important commitment to you as board members.

For those of you traveling from out of the Portland Metro Area, your
mileage and lodging are reimbursable expenses
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByMc2ZZ9qiCVYkNVaGJOSkxTZTA>.
Per-diem rates for lodging is $169.  So please make your reservations as
soon as you can.  Here is a google map
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@45.5087143,-122.668948,15z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1sHotels!2sOregon+Museum+of+Science+and+Industry,+1945+SE+Water+Ave,+Portland,+OR+97214!3s0x54950a72e8b112d1:0xd074694827faf84c!4m2!1d-122.666298!2d45.508741?hl=en>
of the area around OMSI with hotels listed.  OSTA will be feeding you
during the retreat, which is another important reason to register.

If there are any board members in the Portland Metro Area who have a room
they would be willing to let an out-of-town board member use, please reply
all and let us know how many and how to contact you (email and/or cell
phone #).  For our out of town board members, feel free to use this
resource if you are interested. Please contact the member with the room
available directly.

In addition, we have created the *volunteer sign up for the Fall Conference*
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f4faaab2aa7fb6-2017>.  Remember, OSTA
Board members will receive *free registration to the conference in exchange
for volunteering at the conference, or presenting a session.*  So please
consider what your role will be. And, if presenting is for you, and you
haven't yet submitted your session proposal, here is the form
<https://docs.google.com/a/oregonscience.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdR5S0r0w3hG8qzO72vQdQYnKpsuTNcYXUNdZnI_W9l1WCGhg/viewform>
to do that.

And, at the last board meeting, a question arose about *conference
sponsorships*. Here is the flyer that I have put together for sponsorships
<http://www.oregonscience.org/resources/Documents/2017%20Conference/SponsorshipOpportunities.pdf>,
and has been posted on the conference page
<http://www.oregonscience.org/OSTA17>. Please send this along to any
potential sponsors you may be aware of.

Of course, we are still soliciting exhibitors, and that information may be
found on our conference page <http://www.oregonscience.org/OSTA17> for you
to pass along to potential exhibitors.

Thank you again for your service. *I can't emphasize strongly enough how
important your role in OSTA is. *We are only as active as our board members
are.  And, I am here to support you in your efforts.  All you need to do is
ask me, and I will do whatever I can to help you.

Lori Lancaster
Communications Coordinator
Oregon Science Teachers Association
www.oregonscience.org