[White-water] Important WKCC announcements

Mark Taratoot m.taratoot at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 10:57:04 PDT 2007

Good morning!

If you could not make it to the last WKCC meeting, you missed a great
presentation with lots of beautiful imagery and a wonderful story.  Let's
go!

You also missed an opportunity to help select leadership for the club.  I am
happy to say that for 2008, the WKCC will have an energetic, skilled, and
talented board.  Look for great things to happen in 2008!  Retiring board
members include Dave Porter (Vice President and Webpage), Conor Kelly
(Secretary and Newsletter), and Mark Taratoot (President, Membership, and
other odd jobs around the house).  When you see Dave or Conor, please thank
them for their service.  Current board members Kate Howell and Steve
Stuckmeyer will stay on the board at least through the end of their current
terms that expire at the end of 2008.  I want to thank everyone in the club
for supporting the outgoing board; I know it has been a good experience for
me these last seven years on the board, and I expect other board members
have had similar experiences.

The exciting news is who is going to join the board to help round it out.
Paul Neville was the first to volunteer enthusiastically.  Paul has paddled
with the club for several years and decided that it is time to pay back some
of the energy that the club gave to him.  Thanks Paul.  The first big
surprise, and one I am excited about, is that Rob Blickensderfer volunteered
to fill a vacancy through the end of 2008.  If you don't know who Rob is,
you should.  Rob is one of our club founders and is partially responsible
for bringing kayaking into the valley and for making the WKCC happen at all.
What an honor to have Rob join the board again.  Next to volunteer was Al
Grapel.  Al has been interested in rivers for quite some time as well, and
as I mentioned at the meeting had a role in shaping how we paddle at least
one very popular wild and scenic river in Oregon.  Thanks Al.  The last
surprise was when Greg Skaer also volunteered to serve on the board.  Greg
has only been paddling a few years, and has loved paddling since the day he
started.  I think I remember Greg's first trips down the Siletz and the NF
MF Willamette, and it was always hard to ignore the big smile on Greg's
face.  Greg also proved an invaluable resource for safety weekend; his
ability to break down complex topics into parts that everyone could
understand easily were amazing.  The reason Greg's nomination surprised me
is that I know Greg is involved in many other activities as well.  We are
lucky to have all four of these people help steer the club.  It will be a
great ride.

Other good news?  Well... there is still a vacancy on the board.  Remember,
this is YOUR club, and without YOUR energy the club's capacity is limited.
If you are interested in giving back some energy to the club that has given
to you, please contact a current or future board member.  It would be great
to have some more sea kayakers and/or canoeists on the board, although I
think we have a decent balance.  Our gender balance isn't, perhaps, where it
should be; however some suggest that a majority of paddlers are male so the
gender balance of our board may reflect the gender balance of paddlers.  I'm
not so sure about that.  Calling all women: volunteer for the board!

Want to give some more energy and increase your activity level in the club
but don't want to be a board member yet?  There are MANY ways you can give a
little of your time and energy to a project.  Talk to a board member!

Please don't forget about some upcoming WKCC (and other) events!

UPPER DESCHUTES paddling and camping trip, November 3-4.  Contact Steve
Stuckmeyer

ROLL SESSION, Tuesday, November 6.  Osborn Aquatic Center, 10th & Circle,
Corvallis Oregon.  We get the pool at 7:45, but can get started hosing out
boats and coming into the facility around 7:30.  Cost is $3 for WKCC members
and $7 for general public.  HOSE OUT YOUR BOATS with the hose to the left of
the glass doors before entry; come in the double steel doors left of the
hose.  Roll sessions are the second Tuesday of each month, and December 4
will come up pretty quickly.

It looks like there are LOTS of trips lined up on the calendar... at least
one each weekend with Saturday the 24th being the only day without a trip
until December.  Look for a new WKCC calendar in November for trips coming
up starting in December!

And finally an announcement from the Bend Paddle Trail Alliance: if you are
anywhere on the east side, please support this organization!

For the third year, the Bend Paddle Trail Alliance is bringing the National
Paddling Film Festival Roadshow to McMenamins in Bend Oregon on Thursday,
November 8, 2007. This film event will highlight some of the best new
paddling videos including the winners from the 2007 National Paddling Film
Festival.  Additionally BPTA and Bend Metro Parks and Recreation will be
updating the public on the current status of both the Deschutes Paddle Trail
and the potential construction of whitewater play features within the city
of Bend.

This year,  two distinct showings will be presented. The early show will
focus on international touring, sea kayaking,  and environmental issues.
Paddling in Norway, China, Labrador, Michigan and Japan will be featured.
We will also have a premier showing of Bryan Smith's new movie "Pacific
Horizons" which covers the Pacific Northwest. The second showing will be
geared to whitewater enthusiasts and will contain footage of class V big
air, big drops, and freestyle tricks on rivers across the United States and
Canada including British Columbia, Quebec, and Alberta.  Rivers such as the
Tallulah River, Kootenays,  Moose Creek, Oh Be Joyful and others will be
featured.

This year’s event is being held on Thursday night, November 8, with showings
at 6:00-8:00 and 9:00-11:00 p.m.  Tickets are available in advance for $15
each ($25 for both shows) at Alder Creek (in Bend) or from Karl Koenig
(541-388-1640) if you live outside of Bend. Tickets at the door, if
available, will be $18 per show.

BPTA has mounted the momentum and support crucial to establishing the
Deschutes Paddle Trail in Deschutes County  with "Something for Everyone".
Through its sponsorship of the 2007 National Paddling Film Festival
Roadshow, BPTA will provide another opportunity for the outdoor community to
come together and show their support for the Deschutes Paddle Trail.

So get your tickets early and join us for an exciting and entertaining
evening.

For more information call Alder Creek at 541-317-9407,  Karl Koenig at
541-388-1640 or visit our web site at www.bendpaddletrailalliance.org

--
Mark Taratoot
m.taratoot at comcast.net

this message has been scanned for viruses