[White-water] USFS representative to accompany us on our trip down the Metolius

Megi Morishita meggy_morishita at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 19:34:25 PDT 2007

Hi, Everyone.  I know I said my last post was the last mass email I would send, but I wanted to
let everyone know that we have an opportunity to discuss issues with representatives of the USFS
and US Fish and Wildlife Services.  Apparently, someone on one of these email lists caught on that
I have concerns about the placement of wood in rivers (see previous discussions on LCCC and Eugene
Kayaker), so they asked if we would mind whether they joined us on our Metolius trip this weekend.
 I think it is a great opportunity to open up discourse between the USFS and paddlers.
Theoretically, we all care about river restoration, fish habitat, the environment, and safety, so
I think we can all learn from each other.  Anyone who is interested in the process the USFS goes
through when making decisions  should consider joining us.  Peter is a biologist and boater, and
hopefully will help open up some communication for us this weekend.

I just got back yesterday from a flow study on the Sultan River in WA, and I have to say how
amazed I was at how much can be accomplished when we all just talk to each other.  A few years
ago, the project managers for Culmback Dam didn't want to speak to kayakers at all.  Yet, this
past weekend, they were adjusting the flow to match our requests and were standing on the banks of
the river complimenting us for how well-controlled we were as we navigated the river.  There was
even some good bantering as they joked how they were disappointed that we portaged their diversion
dam rather than running it.  It was really good to see everyone working together to come up with a
win-win situation for everyone.

Hope some of you out there who are interested in river restoration and management will come join
us this weekend.  Besides, even if you don't want to hear about the politics, there will be
stunning fall colors and eagle sitings!!  :-)  Let me know if you're interested.  And, if you
can't join us on Saturday but have issues that you would like raised specific to the Metolius, let
me know so that I can pass them on!!!

Cheers!  -megi