[White-water] Dry Tops

Mark Taratoot taratoot at peak.org
Mon Jun 4 10:49:36 PDT 2012

I'm still paddling with my Lotus Nemo drytop that I've had forever.  I
don't think they make them anymore since Patagonia bought Lotus years
ago.  They still have a company that does their warranty work and
replaces seals.  I usually wear a medium, but the size large gives
plenty of room for gear.  It's had a few leaks fixed, but is pretty bomb
proof.  I hope to keep paddling it for years to come before it needs a
replacement.

I also still paddle a Kokatat semi-dry top (wrist seals but a
less-aggressive seal around the neck) when the weather is hot and the
water is less cold like Umpqua in the summer.  It's thinner material,
but holds up well and is very breathable (XCR Goretex).  If/when my
Lotus ever leaks too badly, I will probably replace it with a Kokatat.
The semi-dry top is size medium, and I still have at least some room for
layering.  If it's cold enough for lots of layers, I paddle a dry SUIT
instead of a top.  My suit is a Kokatat, and they have been very good
about repairs when I send it in for gasket replacement and leak
testing.  It's got plenty of patches on it, but they all hold.  Their
reputation of excellent customer service is worth a few extra bucks to
me, although I also have heard good things from Stolquist customer
service, but I've never used their products.  I own some NRS products,
mostly neoprene and layers, and they seem to hold up well.  I have not
needed warranty service.  Mountain Surf no longer makes dry tops, so I
presume they are not able to offer warranty service on your top, which
as I recall, isn't that old yet!  I'd give them a call first and give
them a chance to support their product.  I think the other companies
would, or at least might.

You'll probably get decent performance from any product you buy from
those three companies.  If you find yourself in a town with a paddle
shop, try a few on with your fleece underneath and then support that shop!

Cheers!

-m

--
Mark Taratoot