[Osta-board] Response to Norie letter

Tiffany Windle windlet at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 10:55:12 PDT 2020

As a Member of the Conference Committee I must speak up,

I am not a voting board member and am aware of that but this thread does not include the perspective of any member who actually helped plan the conference or manage the exhibitors.

I am very proud of the work done by the conference team in an incredibly challenging time. They pulled off something that I didn’t think was possible in our timeline. They did it well and with class. We have had feedback that it was better planned and produced then National Conferences. They put in more hours then I ever thought possible. So THANK YOU to those people.

I have attached the Exhibitor Guidelines that we followed. It is the same ones as the NSTA. These are the guidelines we used.

We did not sensor their presentation. They did not submit as a teacher would from a school. They registered as an exhibitor. The expectations and standards for an exhibitor is different and much higher then submitting a single presentation as an educator or an individual. They registered as the Oregon Forest Resources Institute (not as ODE). We also rejected California Casualty and a few others this year based on staying in accordance with the WSTA standards for exhibitors.  Exhibiting is different then presenting.

I can not speak to how OFRI was contacted to provide their refund, because I was not the one who did it, but I would assume that it was clear that we were rejecting their exhibitor fee not their presentation.

The theme of the conference was Climate Change and Climate Science. We made the decision in line with the guidelines. The recent Press along with decades of actual press releases from OFRI are clear that they disagree with the peer reviewed science on climate change.

I hope this makes our reasons and positions more clear.

Regards,
Tiffany Windle-Hanson

Guidelines copied below;

Terms & Conditions

By submitting your booth space reservation, you are confirming you have read and agree to all the Exhibitor Contract Rules and Regulations and NSTA Safety Guidelines regarding this registration, refunds and cancellations, and your participation in the conference.  You also agree that your display and materials distributed are in accordance with NSTA's Official Position Statements.

NSTA has the sole right to determine eligibility of any company or product for inclusion in the conference, for accepting an application and assigning use of space and booths to exhibitor, subject to the availability of space preferences, special needs, and the compatibility of exhibitors.  The space assigned by NSTA and the exhibition floor plan may be changed at any point as determined in the sole discretion of NSTA.  NSTA reserves the right to make the final determination as to the acceptability and appropriateness of all displays, and exhibitor will promptly remedy any objection NSTA has to its booth display.  All measurements and space layouts on the exhibition floor plan are as accurate as possible. NSTA reserves the right to adjust the floor plan and change booth assignments as may be necessary to meet the needs of NSTA.

Sent from my iPhone